Halloween Safety Tips To Follow
For this upcoming Halloween, Manchester Honda wants to help make sure that you and your family are safe. Below are a number of safety tips to help keep your Halloween safe and fun.
- Make sure to cross the streets at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Look left, right and left again when crossing and continue to look as you cross.
- Don’t run across the street.
- Always try to walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to left as possible.
- Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Teach your children to never dart out into the street, or cross between parked cars.
- Remain on well-lit streets and don’t assume the right of way. Just because one car stops, doesn’t mean others will!
Keep Costumes Both Safe and Creative
- Decorate your costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers, and if possible choose light colors. Costumes that are bright will make it easier for drivers to see them.
- Have your kids carry glow sticks or flashlights to help them see, and be seen by drivers.
- Make sure your child’s costume fits properly, to prevent trips and falls.
Drive Extra Safely this Halloween
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Popular trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. so be especially alert during those hours.
- Eliminate any distractions inside your car so that you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
Trick or Treat With an Adult
It is suggested that children under the age of 12 should not trick-or-treat alone. If your child is ready to trick-or-treat without adult supervision, make sure they are in a group, and communicate where they are going. They should also stick to familiar areas, and carry a cellphone.